Friday, November 28, 2008

You're breaking my heart, David Tennant. :(

So, a coupla seasons ago, I stumbled across an episode of Dr. Who, a series I reviled my entire childhood (when it was Tom Baker) as ridiculous camp with terrible special effects. But this Doctor was a fast talking, irreverent scamp, and despite myself - and Billie Piper - I started watching the show. And promptly fell in love with David Tennant's Tenth Doctor. I even came to like Billie Piper, and the episode where the Doctor had to leave her behind in another dimension made me cry. (What?! It was a really well-written scene.) Since then, I've watched the Doctor - and Tennant's is the only Doctor for me - charge across the universe with Martha Jones, Donna Noble, and briefly again with Jack Harkness, and I am just crushed to find - late, I admit, but then, British television doesn't get a lot of attention here in the States - that my beloved Tennant is leaving the show.

I don't want to watch someone else be the Doctor, I want David Tennant.

No one else will properly chew the scenery and fire off technobabble at proper breakneck, barely comprehensible (and sometimes completely INcomprehensible) speed. No one else will be half so rakishly, adorably dashing or boyishly, impishly handsome. Plus, I really *like* this Doctor. I like what Tennant's done to make the character so completely his. I love how complex and sad he is. Not that I want him to be sad, but Tennant nails it so very, very well, that I don't want someone else to come along and step into his shoes. It just won't be the same. I suppose it's just as well, as I totally LOVED Catherine Tate as Donna Noble, and the two of them were really good together, so it's kind of fitting that since Donna had to go back to being just Donna after all she'd learned and seen and done with the Doctor, that the Doctor she did it all with is leaving too, and I can consider the story resolved and over, but it still makes me sad, all good things, and all that.

So goodbye, Mr. Tennant. I would have been thrilled if they *had* had to pry the TARDIS key from your hand, many, many years from now. I will miss watching you every week, you cheeky, mad, wonderful Doctor, you. I had a bit of a crush on your marvelous creation. So thanks for the seasons I got. They were great, great fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment