Friday, December 5, 2008

Random Stuff

I was driving to the bark park today when I thought of something I needed to call Calli about. So I whipped out my trusty cell phone at the red light and scrolled through the past calls menu to her number, hit dial, hit speaker, and clipped it to my seatbelt, across my chest. As I'm doing that, I hear "Now that's hands-free," from the car next to me, which I am aware has been sitting there the entire time I've been doing this. (We have a new law here stating you can't use a cell phone while driving unless you can do so without holding it in your hands.) I look over, and there, in plain view and big as day, are two uniformed members of the Los Angeles Police Department, complete with big ol' Crown Victoria LAPD black & white cruiser.

Oops?

I grinned, and they grinned back.

I said, "I don't have to hold it, and then when I'm finished, all I have to do is flip it closed. (not, strictly speaking, true; I have to hit the end button too, but I don't have to look at the phone to do that, and even with a hands-free device, you have to press something to end the call.) That's legal, right?"

"Hey," he says, "as long as it's hands-free, I'm good with it."

I grinned and said have a nice day, and the light changed, and he said you too, and we went our merry ways.

Links with your Saturday coffee:
Bush Strikes Again - I'm pretty easy on gun owners, because I recognize the importance a gun can have for home protection, and if I could afford one, I'd have one myself. But there's not a single reason on God's green earth you need to take a concealed weapon into a national park, and that's just one drunken idiot or asshole away from a whole heap of crap waiting to happen. Seriously. All this does is make park rangers' jobs more difficult and possibly dangerous. Twenty-five frigging years, we did not have yahoos with concealed weapons taking them into the national frigging parks. And we do not need them to. Yet another reason to hate George Dubya Bush and the NRA.

The show I worked on during the spring is finally set to air...opposite American Idol, where I'm sure it'll head out like gangbusters. I dare you to view that preview and then tell me with a straight face that it's not meant to appeal to a certain part of the population, namely the same assholes who will be taking their concealed weapons into national parks, and Sarah Palin. I bet the Palin household will be big fans. I promise when I was working on it that while I did feel a large amount of conflict for basically helping produce propaganda for DHS, I was unaware I was working directly for the Powers of Darkness. Oh, the horror.

I completely heart Twitter. Blame Feng and Angelina. Actually, come to think of it, blame Feng. What I really love about it is that besides being able to track what tons of random people are doing in the world, actors like Greg Grunberg and Brea Grant, both from Heroes, not only post updates on what they're doing, they take pictures, too! Love!

I have conquered my Bejeweled2 addiction.

And replaced it with Cubis2.

What the hell are some people thinking?

Reason 232 to like people.

I love how white collar assholes like AIG get what basically amounts to a blank check to do with as they will, but blue collar guys not only have to come up with a plan and accountability, they don't even get all the money they asked for. In fact, they get about 1/10th what AIG got, even after AIG spent a million dollars of its bailout money on massages and golf trips for their executives. Yeah. No class warfare there. No sir.

Step back from the hyperbole, Tallulah. You're done. :)

Have a good weekend, everybody.

peace out,
katie

No comments:

Post a Comment