Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Yesterday & a Meme

Yesterday was flat out awful. Really awful. Nothing good to say about it whatsoever. I watched a single vulture buy the entirety of my grandmother's household contents for $300, including the rug I played on with Gramma as a child. It far exceeded my expectations of how crappy an experience it was going to be.

I'm going to leave it there, because I'm trying not to sound negative, but suffice to say this:
1. I cried. Hard. And I'm still very upset.
2. I think when you die, you will have to answer to God for taking advantage of people, especially hurt or helpless people. And the woman who did that yesterday can suck it. So can the auctioneer, who clearly knew her and helped her do it. His attitude alone was miserable.
3. As predicted, yes, my uncle did hold his hand out. And he was very unhappy to find out he wasn't going to get anything. My mom used the entire $400 we got yesterday (see next paragraph) to pay for her plane ticket.

I did get my grampa's rocking armchair, which I love very, very much, and the grandfather clock. I'm trying to focus on that and the fact that one very, very nice and compassionate man (named Mike) also showed up to the auction, and I will never, ever forget his kindness. He paid $95 for some odds & ends in a lot that was on the dining room table, and while I know he wanted 2 of the items from the lot, they weren't really worth a hundred bucks. I was just grateful to see them go to him, because I knew they had value to him, they weren't something to sell for profit. Mike, wherever you are out there in the Inland Empire, I love you, man. I really, really do. God bless and keep you, always.

So moving on...Brea Grant - who I am following on Twitter - has a blog, and she posted this meme to it: childhood celebrity crushes. I figure if Brea Grant can embarrass herself in this manner, so can I. So here goes, roughly in order of their occurrence.

1. Glenn Campbell - I used to sit in front of the tv when I was little and blow kisses at the man during his variety show, The Glenn Campbell Goodtime Hour. I don't know why. My mom and dad thought it was the cutest, most adorable thing ever. I remember doing it and that when the show came on, Mom would have to pry me away from the giant console television set, as I insisted on sitting on the floor, front and center about 3' away from the screen. That's about how close you could sit before everything dissolved into RBG dots, and when Mom would tell me to move back, I'd begrudgingly (really begrudgingly) move back to the 4' mark. I'm sure this part of my life was the mold for making me the gigantic geek I am today.

2. John Denver - What can I say? I like 'em quirky.

3. Gene Kelley - I just thought Gene Kelley was the cat's meow. Brilliant smile; soft, melodic voice; grace; dignity; and he was built. ::sigh:: What's not to love? I happily admit to still having a bit of that crush. I always will. And if a Gene Kelley movie is on, you bet your buttons I'm watching it. And crushing on Gene. :)

4. Randolph "Randy" Mantooth - Many, many hours were spent in front of the tv pining for Rampart's trusty first responder. ::deep, heartfelt sigh::

4. Sean Cassidy - I know. I'm still trying to live it down. I don't even want to tell you how huge and all-encompassing this crush was. It's just way too humiliating. Leif Garrett, HA. The Brothers Gibb? Triple HA. Parker Stevenson? Don't make me laugh. I was Sean's girl, through and through.

5. Mark Hamill - Look, I was in 7th grade. Han Solo was too intimidating. Luke Skywalker was earnest and safe and totally adorable. Don't worry; I rectified this in high school. (Ironically, btw, when I grew up and moved to California, I became friends with my friend Bill, who it turns out went to college with Mark Hamill and was in the theatre arts department with him...and had a huge crush on Hamill's girlfriend. Bill said every girl on campus had a huge thing for the Lukester.)

6. Dirk Benedict - Again, I *know*. All I have in my defense is Battlestar Galactica. Who among us did NOT have a crush on Starbuck? Besides you wheenies who had things for Richard Hatch, of course. ;)

If we extend this into the high school years - and since we're on a roll, why don't we; it's slightly less embarrassing - we get (in order of crush):

7. Tom Selleck - Magnum P.I. Seriously, need I say more? I had his posters on my bedroom wall and the doors to my room and my closet.

8. Pierce Brosnan - Smoldering intensity, brooding good looks, tall, dark, handsome. Remington Steele.

9. Timothy Hutton - His picture was on my closet door, too. Clearly, I really had a thing for earnest guys. I can only guess this is because I was so darned earnest, myself.

10. Harrison Ford - Also on the closet door. :) I still have a bit of this crush still going fairly strong. Dude: he's Han Solo and Indiana Jones. How can you not think he's totally rugged and dreamy, in theory, at the very least? Also? Working Girl. Earnest and safe and totally adorable. Which I'm sure is every guy's dream description. ;)

11. Tom Cruise - I am so over this crush, it's not even funny. It was pretty intense for a few years, but the freakishness of certain aspects of his life way killed it, believe me. Plus, he always plays the same nihilistic asshole in all his films, so I don't even admire him as an actor anymore. Rest in peace, old crush, and good riddance.

That probably brings us to the present, but I am not going to tell you who my secret celebrity crushes are, just in case they google their names and end up here, because if I ever meet them in person, I don't want them to have preconceived notions about me. And sure, that's ridiculous and laughable, and I wouldn't blame you for thinking I'm a freak for thinking that, but The Boyfriend? Was once a celebrity crush of mine back in the day, and then we met at a birthday party, and now we live together. So there. :)

2 comments:

  1. I had a poster of Sean Cassidy in my room but only because it came with his record. Can I say I am SO happy my musical tastes have compeltely changed.
    I had a crush on Han Solo from the opening day of Star Wars cause there's nothing I love more than a smart ass. I've been in love with Archie Goodwin since I can remember. Therefore, I too at an older age crushed on Timothy H. Remington Steele I adored and I also loved Jake from the show whose name I can't remember.
    It seems like I crush more on the character than the actor but at least I don't confuse them lol.
    Im not afraid of revealing my adult crushes so I will just say that everything he has ever been in I have loved him in. Edward Burns really does it for me.
    Now you can sleep better.

    That Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had so much Sean Cassidy memorabilia, it's terrifying. Happily, it's all gone, now. :) I have a huge crush on Han Solo, but when I watch the first film, it's still Luke I crush on. I can't help it. :) Hmm...who's Jake? Good not to confuse them, true. :) Edward Burns is a handsome guy. :) I don't know why, but I have a secret crush on Michael Vartan, whom I lovingly refer to as The Beak. My friends all call him my secret boyfriend. He just does it, which is funny, because I had a friend who thought he was hot, and I scoffed. But he grew on me. I also crush on Seth Meyers from SNL. Do not ask me why. I just do. And a tiny bit on Nathan Fillion. And now I've outted myself. Doh!

    ReplyDelete