Tuesday, October 14, 2008

If it's smoky, it must be Southern California

Just came in from walking Napoleon, and the air is full of smoke and liberally sprinkled with ash. I could see it in the beam of the flashlight. Smells really strongly, too. My allergies have been misery all day long, even inside with the doors and windows closed. I went down to the post office around 10:30, and just the drive there and back with the windows up made my throat hurt. Gotta love LA. Every year we go thru this, and every year, yahoo after yahoo parks in the fire lanes of our street and pitches lit cigarettes out their car windows. Lord must love an asshat.

This was the view north today:

Sesnon Fire 2008 - North

I told Ty when he got home this afternoon that I hoped nobody in our 'hood had a mortgage he wanted to get out of, because whenever we hit wildfire season, there are always fires intentionally set, by either firebugs, morons, or people looking to cover up a crime and thinking the fire they set will get written off as natural or an accident. The mortgage situation being what it is these days, there are several houses in the hood that are up for sale and have been for forever. There are also several foreclosures. One of them was just midway down the block, and that guy was one of the people you hear about on the news who trashed the house when he moved out to screw the bank. I saw inside it one day driving by, and he did a fanfreakingtastic job of it, too. Not to mention all the crap he left inside. They moved out at least 3 large skids of trash and junk before they were able to repair all the damage. So I hope there are no more guys like that, thinking they'll torch the house to screw the bank, for at least 30 miles, because with all the trees and lots around full of dead brush, a fire would really rip through this neck of the woods pretty quickly, and we feed directly into Topanga Canyon from here. I can see it from my house.

Aside from that, I got nothing. It was all fire, all the time, today.

peace out,
katie

No comments:

Post a Comment