Sunday, October 26, 2008

Is it really petty of me to be glad about this?

So, last night at the bookstore, this man walks up to me at the desk and shoves a small stack of books at me and a list and informs me that he's headed off to a movie and here's the list of books he wants me to pull for him while he's gone, and when his movie is over, he'll pay for them.

Uh, no.

It's on the tip of my tongue to tell him we don't do that when I decide instead that a) if I tell him we don't do that, he's going to pitch a snitty little fit, because that's the kind of egocentric asshat he clearly is, and b) it's easier to inform him that we're busy and understaffed, but we'll certainly try to get those for him. So that's what I do, knowing full well that there is not a chance in hell I'm going to even *look* at the list, let alone fetch a single item on it. And he lays a little more snotty, I-make-more-than-you-so-you-have-to-do-what-I-say-loser-smackdown on me and wants to know exactly where his books will be after I have fetched them and when he returns from his movie with his wife. So I set them in the cubby under the computer, point, and say right there. Or maybe up at the front. He dishes me some crap about how they better be right there, and then walks off with his wife as I say, "sure thing."

For the record, "sure thing" and "you got it" generally mean the opposite of what you think they mean, unless they're said with a smile. This was not said with a smile.

About 30 seconds after he left, the MOD comes over, and I point to the stack and list and tell him that I informed the man that we'd do it if we had time, to which my MOD, who is new to me there and clearly not a corporate team player, says to me with a completely expressionless face and no inflection whatsoever, "I don't think I'm going to have time to do that tonight." And I grin and say, "I *know* I'm not going to have time to do that tonight," and we both go our separate ways, leaving the books and list right where I put it. Which is right where it stayed, all the rest of the night. About 2 hours later, I was breaking the music person when Mr. High & Mighty returns with his wife, and I start smiling to myself in anticipation because it just makes me so happy to know his list has been ignored. The guy walks around through the store with his wife, continuing to browse, and then they finally meander up to the desk to get the books I am supposed to have found, only to discover that nothing has been found, and they take what they already chose for themselves and go home. And the meanest, pettiest part of me was really gleeful that he didn't get his books. And glad that he didn't give my other coworker crap about it, since I forgot to even tell her about the list, because we both had projects we were trying to get done, neither of which had anything to do with manning the desk.

And I know that's all small of me, and that it shouldn't make me so glad that he was disappointed, but damn it, I am not your personal shopper, and I really frigging hate when people do that, and most of all, I love seeing the self-perceived-mighty fallen because it seems to happen so rarely. At least in my life.

So, yeah.

I feel really weepy today (and yesterday), so either it's over my uncle, or my period is FINALLY going to start, or both. So today, I just took Razzle to the barkpark and hung out, and it was nice.

peace out,
katie

2 comments:

  1. OMG. Seriously, I have worked in retail before but where do people get the nerve? It really is shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does really make me wish I could give them a verbal reality check. I would NEVER do some of the stuff people do in the bookstore. And if I tried, my mom would slap me.

    ReplyDelete