Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sleeping dogs...

Today, someone I used to be friends with a long time ago, that I sent an email to last week, just to say hey, I hope your life is going well, let's be friends again if you like, wrote me back that he never wanted to hear from me again. He said he was married and had kids, and that he needed to protect the people who relied on and loved him, not meddle around in the past. It was a pretty harsh email. I sat there kinda stunned, wondering what the hell I might have done to elicit such a response. I finally sent it to a mutual friend and asked her if I'd been a horrible person back then, and her response when she saw it was to ask me when we'd dated. And I was like, uh, never, and she said well, it sounded like a letter from a jilted lover, so we figured I must have meant something more to him than I thought and hurt him when we parted ways, which is why TB thought he must have written it, too. I mean, it was so cold, it made me cry. So I wrote back that look, that was 20 years ago, and I'm an adult now, and that whatever I'd done, I was deeply sorry to have offended him and goodbye, and he wrote back no ill will, farewell.

I guess every blast from the past isn't a good one. But that was a pretty cold, hard shock, I have to say. Lately I've been reconnecting with a lot of people from high school and the last 20 years, and it's been pretty good. Even people I didn't know all that well have tracked me down and said hi and how am I, etc. It's been by and large a good thing. I probably shouldn't be surprised that at least one person isn't all impressed with me, but we were friends for a long time, so wow. I even have a poem he wrote that I've kept for 20 years. It was in the office at work, and someone had stapled his picture in one of those big furry Russian hats with ear flaps to it. It really kinda sucks I'll never be able to look at that poem the same way again. I loved it; it's a really great poem. :(

Anyway, that was my last 24 hours. Napoleon is sick (again). :( Later.

peace out,
kd

No comments:

Post a Comment